The theme for the United Nations International Day of Peace in 2016 is
The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace
This theme highlights how ending poverty, protecting the planet and ensuring prosperity for everyone can all contribute to global harmony.
There are 17 Sustainable Development Goals, which were unanimously adopted by the 193 Member States of the United Nations at a historic summit in September 2015.
The following is a summary of these goals.
- Poverty – End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- Hunger and Food Security – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Good Health and Well-Being – Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Education – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Water and Sanitation – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Energy – Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and clean energy for all.
- Economic Growth – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- Infrastructure, Industrialization – Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- Inequality – Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Cities – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Sustainable Consumption and Production – Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Climate Change – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Oceans – Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Biodiversity, Forests, Deforestation – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse and degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Peace and Justice – Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Partnerships – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
More information on the Sustainable Development Goals: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs