Peacemakers have secured funding for bursaries for 8 West Midlands schools to establish or re-establish a Peer Mediation scheme in their school.
What is Peer Mediation?
Peer Mediation enables children to mediate conflicts that occur on the playground between other children. Training helps the mediators develop the skills needed to support children to find ways of resolving their differences between themselves.
The Peer Mediation Plus package includes:
- Pupil Workshop – An interactive workshop with each class that mediators will be selected from [up to 3 classes] to explore what mediation is, how it will make a difference to play times and the skills needed to be a mediator.
- Mediation Training – The heart of the package will be three full days of training with up to 24 selected peer mediators. The training includes resources for the staff member leading the scheme.
- Staff CPD – 3 twilights (or one half day and one twilight) for all classroom staff: to understand how mediation can benefit the whole school, and how staff can support the scheme. The training includes the theories that underpin relationship building, maintaining and repairing.
- Lunchtime Supervisor Training (LTS) – A 90 minute session, to understand the role of peer mediators and the LTS’s role in the mediation team.
- WM Peer Mediation Leads Network: An invitation to join a new network, connecting you with others leading mediation in schools.
- Evaluation- A full evaluation of the project, including a follow up visit to the school once the scheme is established.
The cost to deliver this work is £2,770, but thanks to their funding they are asking schools to contribute only £500 towards this cost.
In addition, they don’t want finances to be a barrier to involvement so please contact them if this presents an issue for you.
If you would like to apply, please email Libbs Packer at email@example.com or call 0121 236 4796.