Contents of this page
Rotary is a global network that has been taking action for over 100 years to create lasting change in various ways. Promoting peace is one of their main aims. In addition they act to fight disease, provide clean water and sanitation, support education and act in other ways to help resolve some of the world’s most persistent problems.
This fellowship of of over million business, professional, and community leaders belonging to over 40 thousand clubs around the world wants to serve others, promote integrity, advance world understanding, goodwill and peace.
Each year, Rotary awards fully funded Fellowships for dedicated leaders from around the world to study at one of the Rotary Peace Centres. Since the Peace Fellowships program began in 2002 the Rotary Peace Centres have trained more than 1,600 fellows who now work in over 140 countries. Many serve as leaders in governments, NGOs, education and research institutions, peacekeeping and law enforcement agencies and international organizations like the United Nations and the World Bank.
Fellowships develop the capacity of peace and development professionals to become effective catalysts for peace. The fellowships cover tuition and fees, room and board, round-trip transportation plus internship and field-study expenses. There is no age limit for candidates. They can apply to either the Master’s Degree programs or the Professional Development Certificate program.
Master’s Degree program
Candidates have a bachelor’s degree in a related field and have work experience in peace and development. They are early-career candidates who demonstrate a commitment to peace and conflict resolution, can undertake extensive reading and research, and can participate actively within a diverse cohort of students.
The Master’s degree is a 15-24 month program, small-group classroom learning, in fields related to peace and development:
▪ Intended for leaders near the start of their careers
▪ 50 fellows selected annually to study at one of five Rotary Peace Centres at partner universities, which offer interdisciplinary curricula with research-informed teaching
▪ 2-3 month field study experience to develop practical skills
▪ Fellows connect with an international cohort of fellows, thought leaders, and a global network of Rotarians
Professional Development Certificate program
Candidates are proven mid-career peace and development leaders with at least five years of relevant work experience. Candidates need to come to the program with a social change initiative to promote peace and development within the program region.
The Professional Development Certificate is a year-long program for working professionals that blends online learning, in-person classes, and an independent project:
▪ Intended for social change leaders with extensive experience working in peace-related fields
▪ 40 fellows will be selected to earn a post-graduate diploma in peace and development studies at Makerere University in Uganda
▪ Interdisciplinary program includes a two-week online preliminary course, 10 weeks of on-site courses with field studies, a nine-month period during which fellows implement a social change initiative (with interactive online sessions), and an on-site capstone seminar
The first step is to check that you are eligible. See the information below. Then contact Margaret Morley (see below) who will guide you through the application process and, if you are a suitable candidate, she will submit a referral form to the Rotary Peace Centres.
Applications for the 2024-25 academic term need to be submitted by 15 May 2023. Since the preparation for a submission takes a while, it may be too late for this year but now is a good time to start planning for next year.
About Rotary: https://www.rotary.org/en/about-rotary
About Peace Fellowships: https://www.rotary.org/en/our-programs/peace-fellowships
Master’s Degree Programs: https://www.rotary.org/en/our-programs/peace-fellowships-masters-degree-programs
Professional Development Certificate Program: https://www.rotary.org/en/our-programs/peace-fellowships-certificate-program