A School of Sanctuary is a school that is committed to being a safe and welcoming place for all, especially those seeking sanctuary. This could be people whose lives were in danger in their own country, who have troubles at home or are just looking for a space of safety.
A School of Sanctuary is a school that helps its students, staff and wider community understand what it means to be seeking sanctuary and to extend a welcome to everyone as equal, valued members of the school community. It is a school that is proud to be a place of safety and inclusion for all.
The programme began in Sheffield and there are now Schools of Sanctuary in Wales and Ireland as well as many English cities and towns, and the resources can be adapted for a variety of school demographics and education systems. Schools are encouraged to work in partnership with local City of Sanctuary groups and other partner organisations.
Schools of Sanctuary is part of City of Sanctuary UK, an umbrella organisation that has supported the development of a network of villages, towns, cities and regions across the UK. Coventry became a City of Sanctuary in 2011.
Why become a school of sanctuary?
- You will create a sense of safety and inclusion for all.
- It’s free and straightforward. EMAS can offer guidance on the application process and advise on suitable resources to enhance your curriculum planning.
- Your school community will develop understanding of what it means to seek sanctuary and dispel negative myths
- Your curriculum will develop learning opportunities around human rights, social justice, diversity and interdependence, race equality and community cohesion, welcome and inclusion which can be linked to the curriculum on British Values.
- It creates opportunities to increase student voice and promote active citizenship
- It will help you provide evidence to meet Ofsted expectations for high educational achievement for refugee and unaccompanied asylum seeking children
Most of all, you will be helping to shape our future global citizens, enabling them to challenge injustice and to understand why people seek sanctuary.
For information about how to take part in the award scheme contact
School of Sanctuary Resources including a resource pack, action guide and many other resources at https://schools.cityofsanctuary.org/resources/
Schools of Sanctuary website: https://schools.cityofsanctuary.org/