Following the analysis of the comments made by delegates during the very successful Young People’s Conference on Peace and Reconciliation, the Lord Mayor’s Committee has decided to organise a new Peace Award scheme. Initially it will be offered to schools during 2020. The aims of the award will be to:
- Offer a free scheme to encourage and support schools to promote peace and reconciliation.
- Enable young people to have a voice in promoting peace and reconciliation – at a personal, local and global level
- Enable teachers to meet other teachers and share information about what they are doing.
- Encourage schools to collaborate on peace initiatives,
- Encourage schools to appoint a Peace Coordinator who will link to other organisations and schools promoting peace and pass on information to other members of staff.
- Enable schools to apply for a certificate (and perhaps a trophy and a small financial award) if they can show they have been promoting peace (and ideally reconciliation) during the past year.
- Raise awareness of Coventry being an international city of peace and reconciliation.
The details of the scheme are still being worked out. It is planned to announce the details in late January 2020.
More information on the Peace Award website https://coventrypeaceaward.uk/
Follow the Award on Twitter at @CovPeaceAward