The full cost of the Peer Mediation Plus package is £2884 but Peacemakers are offering it to primary and secondary schools for only £400.
Peer Mediation schemes empower children and young people to mediate conflicts among their peers. It develops children’s social and emotional learning and their ability to resolve conflict independently. Peer mediation training has the greatest impact when it’s supported by adults who understand the values that underpin it and who echo the language used in classrooms, corridors and playgrounds.
As a result of feedback from people involved in mediation training, Peacemakers have developed the Peer Mediation Plus package which includes staff training as an integral part – taking these values and skills wider into the school from the start.
In Summer term 2022 they started delivering the package to primary and secondary schools and had a lot of interest and enthusiasm from new schools, who will receive the training over the Autumn and Spring term. Peacemakers hope to then connect the many new Mediation Leads in the West Midlands to share experiences and successes.
Peer Mediation Plus includes
- Pupil Workshop – An interactive workshop with each class that mediators will be selected from [up to 3 classes] to explore what mediation is, how it will make a difference to playtimes and the skills needed to be a mediator.
- Mediation Training – The heart of the package will be three full days of training with up to 24 selected peer mediators.
- Staff CPD – 3 twilights for all classroom staff: 1) Relationship building through mediation; 2) Relationship repairing through mediation; 3) Echoing and modelling mediation through school.
- Lunchtime Supervisor Training (LTS) - a 90 minute session for Lunchtime staff, to understand the role of peer mediators and the LTS role in the mediation team.
- WM Peer Mediation Leads Network – An invitation to join a new network, connecting with others leading mediation in schools.
- Evaluation – A full evaluation of the project, including a follow up visit to the school once the scheme is established.